The Faculty of Solicitors of Dunbartonshire was established in 1865 as a representative body for solicitors in the former County of that name. Today, its members are solicitors in private practice within the jurisdiction of Dumbarton Sheriff Court, namely those in the town of Dumbarton itself along with Alexandria, Helensburgh, Clydebank, Bearsden and Milngavie. Public sector solicitors in the local authority and fiscal service who practise within this jurisdiction are associate members.
The Faculty returns one member to serve on the Council of The Law Society of Scotland and on two occasions in recent years has had the distinction of one of its member serving as President of that Society. Over the years, Faculty members have played leading roles in The Scottish Law Agents Society and in The Scottish Family Law Association.
The Faculty provides its members with access to a large law library situated within Dumbarton Sheriff Court. It also provides a CPD education programme and holds various social events throughout the year. Faculty members provide advice over a wide range of legal issues and member firms can be reached through the Member Firms page.